PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it about the C180/185
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2010, 19:35
c100driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This has to be the best thread on PPRuNe, tell me, I have never had the chance to fly the 180/185. Are they both six people including the pilot, so the size of a 206 or more cramped. I have been thinking about operating one in the future I have plenty of tail wheel time just not on these fantastic machines.

So could you with a pod fitted take similar loads to a 206 in a 185 and what is the cruise speed generally.
As there are far more early C180 than later model C180 you could say that the C180 is a four seat aircraft. From the C180H you could have a six seat aircraft but the aircraft really struggled (think a C185 with seventy less HP).

The rear seats in the C185 are not for long flights or large people. Two standard Aussie or Kiwi blokes would not fit in the rear seat (unless they are very friendly) let alone manage to get into the rear seat compartment.

For basic commercial operations (A to A operations or good condition airstrip operations) the C206 is a much better aircraft if you need to carry 5 pax or large bulky loads. If trying to make money from light air transport operations the C206 is the far better aircraft.

Where the C185 really shines is very rough strips, beaches, or bare paddocks. With a cargo pod the C185 will carry similar loads (weight wise, five pax plus baggage) to a clean C206 (A C206 with a cargo pod will still carry more) but the C185 has better manners and is nicer to pole at MAUW that a C206.

In Summary: A C185 for fun and a C206 for Mon!

Speed wise clean they are very similar at about 125 to 135 knots at MAUW though there such a large variation between the same types that it is hard to find an "average". I have operated two C206 that were built one year apart and with the same equipment but the 77 model was always faster by about 6%.