PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is NATS and ASTAC the only option to get into ATC?
Old 26th Jan 2010, 15:41
Pat42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to add, as SKOS has mentioned it, the RAF is another route but I'd think long and hard about this. From what I understand (having no personal experience of it) military control is a very different job to civilian ATC, you are an RAF officer first and an ATCO second. Becoming an RAF controller might land you a cosy job alongside the civilian controllers at Swanwick, but more likely it will see you touring all around the world on tours of active combat zones such as Afghanistan. If you are genuinely interested in it then pursue this route be all means, but all the advice I've heard about military controlling is that you should only go into it if you want to be a military controller not a civilian one. I should also point out that military and civilian ATC licences are not interchangable - if you did a few years in the military and then wanted to move to civilian control you'd have to start all over again from scratch, you can't use the military as a back door route into civilian ATC.