PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL timing advice needed.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Jul 2002, 10:55
gus_honeybun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a good thread this. With most residential courses due to start soon, I think the advice and view points stated here will help us wannabe's gain a better idea of what to expect.

The atpl theory exams, IMHO, is the biggest single commitment you need to make to achieving the fATPL. Either 7 months of full time study or at least one year of part-time if you can fit the recommended number of hours in each and every week. You may have all the money saved to do the cpl course, but if you can't motivate yourself to complete the theory, then what?

I personally could not hack doing the atpl's by distance learning. As FFF says, it's not for everyone. To my defence though, I currently work doing a very brain intensive job, and when I get home at night all I want to do is switch off and relax, play with the lassie and maybe pop to the local for a pint or eight. I can't bring myself to start to wrestle with the nuance's of power/drag ratios for three hours. I do envy those of you who can and i wish you the best of british and all that.
You must be honest with yourself before going DL, that you can devote the 15 hours each and every week to study. It's not easy, but people have gone this route and passed, and people will have gone this route and failed.

The only other option is residential. At least the moitvation will be easier as you spend your whole day at school, learning each and every day, and being taught rather than have to learn yourself. However, the down side is the cost. It's the same price as DL, but 8 months without earning is going to eat a very large whole in you final training money. Plus, you may need to move to be closer to the college in question, which will require extra wonga aswell. In fact, the expenses could go on and on, but each individual case will be different.

FFF make a very good point aswell. If you put it off now it becomes easier to put it off again and again. Nobody knows when the best time to start training will be, except you.

Personally, I am due to start in LGU in september so hopefully i'll see you the spitfire747, i'll be the poor looking sod at the back