PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bird Strike on an A319
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2010, 00:03
MrFixer!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerocadet,

I dont think you will be able to get specific info from anywhere else other than people giving information here or laying your hands on the Maintenance Manual.

I am not convinced that a bird can cause 3 Fan blades to bend...unless you are talking about something like a Flemingo or Falcon....it might have been caused by what we say Shingling- Overlapping of the mid-span shroud on the fan blades.

Having seen some really bad Bird Strikes (which I am sure we all have some time or the other).....the general guidelines to follow even before doing anything else are:

1) inspect the engine intake and exhaust (to check the exit point)
2) See whether the debris have gone through the Core of the engine or have been thrown out from the Cold stream itself.
3) Ask the crew if they have any significant change in parameters
4) refer the Maintenance Manual like the one mentioned by jpoth06...which gives you a stepwise procedure of how to go about doing it.
5) if the fan blade are severely damaged then its pretty obvious but most of the time they stay intact but the Bird gets mashed up and goes through the core...in which case we have to do a Boroscope Inspection, initially of main areas (Stage 1 inspection) and if we find some damage in there then we have to do boroscope of the whole engine....

A time consuming task but necessary to make sure the Little Bird has not caused significant damage!!!

Hope its useful !!!