PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - And as long as we're predicting the future...
Old 25th Jan 2010, 22:52
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And as long as we're predicting the future...

1. We will all be riding in silent, clean, cheap electric aircraft (see electric/hybrid thread).

2. There will be no ATC anywhere except at the biggest airports as we all have ADS-B and keep own separation. No more close calls and mid airs.

3. If we need to talk to a specific aircraft on our screen, we'll just call them up on the ADS-B. Likewise, ATC can call us up.

4. All weather will be instantly displayed on our MFD's, worldwide. No more XM US-customers-only stuff.

5. IR as we know it will disappear. It will be an integrated part of the PPL as we will be able to do precision approaches on WAAS GPS. I can foresee this: for marginal VFR weather approach you may hand fly, but for hard IMC approach an autopilot must take you down to minimums. No IR required.

6. We may choose any height and keep our own separation and not have to speak to anyone. The concept of flight levels will disappear as the QNH will automatically be updated as you pass through each weather region.

7. Non standard approaches for everyone. Whatever goes or fits the mission is possible. You're responsible for your own separation though the ADS-B. Maybe there will be a unicom freq at airports where you can inform other aircraft, like:

-F-UTUR, this is Delta 488, I'll just pull ahead of you here on the final as I'm doing 60kts more and can slot in.
-Delta 488 go right ahead, F-UR.

Man, wouldn't it be great?