PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2010, 19:21
Dave Ed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TTO

Good to be involved again.
Have a few bits and pieces to post BUT I have just arrived back in Shrewsbury to continue my Bell 212 project for the next three weeks. The Weatherspoons “Hotel” broadband is pretty useless so I am stuck with expensive and slow mobile broadband L
But at least the Beer’s cheap!!

Edited notes from Tim Carbis (Father flew for Bristows 69-80)

After my father joined Bristow Helicopters, he inevitably spent a lot of time away from home, in exotic places such as Nigeria and Dubai. Later, I was to experience some of the dubious pleasures of this life for myself, working in Nigeria and Saudi Arabia. I too have witnessed the ‘delights’ of Port Harcourt and bumped along in an Aerocontractors’ Twin Otter (Lagos-Warri-PHC), the latter being less hassle than flying with Nigeria Airways and a lot safer.

Dave Ed..... The worst I flew with was Okada Air (BAC 1-11) – The seats were falling apart, the “stewardesses” were asleep down the back even before take-off and it was the longest take-off run I have ever experienced!!

My father’s last flight for Bristow’s was on 21/11/80 when he carried out a Flight Test on Wessex Mk.60 G-BGWT, based at Skye. He also records an incident the previous day thus:

“Sparks from exhaust. Returned single engine for inspection stbd engine”

Perhaps, the moral of the story is to take nothing for granted, especially on the penultimate day of your flying career. TC.