PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Truth about being a pilot
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2010, 16:12
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was very lucky...

I changed career at 34. In hindsight, with the entitlements and salary I had, I should have stayed where I was. But I was single, had no dependants, had enough house equity and wanted to give flying a go. So I did.

In financial terms, leaving my last 'normal' job was the worst thing I have ever done. (The second worst was invest in a pensions funds which those thieves in the city have well and truly plundered - but that's another story.) Then, to an outsider I would have looked like a lemming taking a leap. But nothing compared with the morons out there leaping now. Where do these clowns get the cash to pay for their SSTR's and line training? And it's because there appears to be a never ending plague of these prats that I'll never recommend my children fly commercially.

My flying training cost a few bob, but very little if you compare it with the income I had to forgo over the six years while training and waiting for a job. Eventually I ended up flying for worthwhile employer. But our union still has to regularly remind them that we are not going to be messed about with. And one of the reasons for this is again the "Wallys with the Wallets" have distorted the market and have devalued our occupation. That and the mentality of dross in the HR department.

And then there's the ground idiots we have to deal with. The halfwits at security, surly hotel staff, incompetent handling agents, demonic taxi drivers and strange "local rules" and "procedures". But given all that, my current job is still better than most. I get to work with some lovely people, provide a worthwhile service and get to play with a nice new, pretty toy. My employer wants the aircraft flown safely and legally and doesn't interfere with my decisions. And the view's not bad either.

So would I recommend it to others? With a few exceptions, no way! Not now. Employers are too keen to screw you, security is tiresome and you'll always be competing with some goon who's got deeper pockets than you. If you want to fly - go gliding, take up aerobatics, fly for an air force but don't change jobs to work for an airline. Especially if you have dependants and/or have to enter into debt to pay for your flying. I don't think you'll ever break-even financially and the cost to your family might be one you'll be unable to afford.

PM