PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 25th Jan 2010, 15:57
wascrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reargunner

Typical head in sand approach! And i know from previous experience you are regular contributer to BASSA forum so feel free to post your post and my reply on BASSA forum.
1) The imposition was brought in after BASSA refused to accept any of BA`s proposals and as the first attempt to try and prevent the company from haeemmorraging money. Thanks to BASSA/UNITE`s efforts you can be sure that is continuing as your customers desert in droves.
You have been driven into a corner by BASSA. If the BA proposals were accepted or reasonable alternative that fitted the cost savings required given by BASSSA then you wouldnt now be in this LOSE/LOSE situation.
BF has said there will be no new fleet until the business picks up.
As for creating contracts that will not make staying attractive. Your contract will NOT change! There will be the proposed changes in working practices. What will happen of course is that the new fleet as and when it is introduced will operate the routes where you are expensive and over time your fleet of dinosaurs will dwindle with less lucrative variable pay (long range premium payments) and no promotion opportunities, That is the the inevitable. Your choice is to accept this or not.Look ar Qantas and their low cost crew operation as an example. Their union I believe lost ALL their cases in the High Court.
The protection for existing contracts is written into the BA proposals.
People who join the new fleet will be well aware of their terms and conditions and they will be their terms and conditons they have to work to. NOT YOU!!
So why will you be forced to leave?
Only BASSA through their actions will break the union. If you go on or vote for a strike that is the end of BASSA/UNITE in BA.
Interesting point on the value of experience. You may or may not have a point there. All I can say is that the ``deadwood` who served me recently on several flights were long past their `best by` date and should have considered their value to the company? Or is it better to have new fresh faced enthusaistic people? It`s a question of balance. The new fleet wil have experienced people who will transfer there for promotion. So therefore a few mother hens to look after the spring chickens. Another analogy is what would you choose? An old broiler or fresh chicken?
I would suggest you don`t look at the pilots or any other area of the business.What this is about is purely the Cabin Crews` relationship with the company. How you negotiate,and how you as crew help the long term future of the business and again save your jobs by accepting the mess the company is in and the changing face of aviation and competition out there and adapt your side of the business accordingly is the point. Has anyone considered how easy it will be to put the company into administration and start again with EVERYONE on new contracts and terms? Don`t think it won`t happen and I say again there will be no government bail out of BA. It is a PLC now not BOAC and BOAC.