PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age Limit for passenger who pays for emergency exit seat.
Old 25th Jan 2010, 12:26
Kelly Slater

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Selling of emergency exit seats at a premium should be banned. Airline personal should be identified at some stage between seat purchace and check in. These are the people you would want at an emergency exit in an emergency, not someone who is too tall or too large and wants a bit more room. This is the cheapest insurance an airline can get, pity so few airlines around the world have this policy in place. How many people claim to be "able bodied" but really booked the extra leg room for some medical condition I wonder. As for a person in their 80s, who could blame a Cabin Crew member for making a judgement call and moving him. I would want him moved. Having said that, he should not sit back meakly and accept it, he should make a fuss and at the very least, get his $20 back. He should not have been sold the seat in the first place. Processes must be in place to ensure that only suitable people can buy these seats. I'm not saying that the gentleman in question wasn't capable but I rather just not take the chance on someone so far along in life.