PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Digital Photography Thread
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2010, 11:30
PPRuNe Towers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camera? I don't know of anything that ticks all your requirement boxes regarding batteries or quality or viewfinder.

Everyone is different, has different needs but at least we can offer a shortlist. You've already mentioned the Oly Pen. I'd offer the Panasonic GF1 with the superb 20mm 'pancake' lens but there's no viable viewfinder to suit you at base level. Both cameras suffer too much shutter lag for my tastes and are, in my view, desperately overpriced considering how much they are leaving out compared to a DSLR.

Other than stepping up to the modern digital Leica range there's no obvious choice without compromises at the moment. It may be you have requirements that suit a halfway house/medium term/interim route to digital. There are interesting offerings from Ricoh, Samsung and a couple of others to consider but the large sensor, high quality compact market is still very immature and it's interesting that in the quality, small sensor world Canon is actually dropping megapixels in the search for better quality.

As to C41 I've got to point you away from PPRuNe. Try a site like Talk Photography which is UK based and has an entire forum devoted to traditional film. There are valuable threads running right now regarding processing.

Film & Conventional - Talk Photography

Rob