PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meteor Accidents - 1953
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2010, 10:47
patrickoleary

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1953 meteor crashes

hi warmtoast. you seem to be well up on meteor crashes . i have a puzzle to resolve. during sept 53 i was a bomb armourer at coningsby. some time during that period we had a visit by a 74 meteor sqdn . now all the articles ive seen and also threads to 74 sqdns bob cossey indicat that a meteor crashed while doing a fast low level run b,o,b day due to mechanicle failure . now unless there were two incidents that isnt what happened. we were working in the bomb dump that day and witnessed the whole event. a meteor took off on the main runway Rt to lft at about 60 feet or so he did a 180 flip, at the far end he did a verticle climb to a thousand feet or so then performed a falling leaf manouver at the bottom of which he levelled off to the left .he was so low at that point that he hit a 6ft raised dyke and exploded sending the cockpit and pilot forward like a rocket 2-300 ft also killing a number of cows. some of us were posted to guard the wreck .we understood the pilot was a sqdn/ ldr . the pilot bob cossey mentioned and in some reports said it was a fl/of ward . i still have a lens from the planes camera which was laying in the field..can you throw any light on this event . im contacting the local rag for archive info. best wishes