PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age Limit for passenger who pays for emergency exit seat.
Old 25th Jan 2010, 08:27
Old 'Un

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airsupport: Unless things have changed in the last year or so, the requirement with at least some of the airlines here in NZ used to be that a person occupying the emergency exit row seat nearest the exit was supposed to be "able-bodied" and willing to take on the task of opening said exit if required.

Along with a bunch of other 'Dorises', I used to do some training work with newly-appointed CC, and remember well being "briefed" by CC when I was seated in the emergency exit seat on how to operate the exit. The same was done if I was sitting at the rear of the aircraft: If I happened to be the closest, I was briefed on opening the emergency exit there. (Onerous task this paxing) Yes, we tried to have at least a couple of non-able-bodied folk with us, so we could plant them in the exit rows to see what the CC would do.

And we were always asked during the training sessions if we would be willing to undertake the emergency exit-opening task if the need arose.

In real life, I have been asked and briefed accordingly if I have been sitting next to/closest to an emergency exit. (Seems like the training paid off.) The last time this occurred was about 18 months ago.

As far as the "many years ago" incident with the broken leg, that was a whole different ball game, before the world went safety conciousness mad (in many cases, at the expense of common sense).

Time for my meds, I think, before I get too hot under the collar.

Le Vieux