PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Digital Photography Thread
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2010, 08:19
Cheerio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wonder if you can advise? I am finding that the quality of readily available 35mm C41 processing and printing is getting so increasingly and consistently rubbish, that using decent kit is a waste of time, you might as well be using a Lomo.
The camera is available, the film is available, but the quality of cost effective developing and printing is going to be the thing that finally drives refuseniks like me away. Its a conspiracy!

Maybe its time that I considered dipping my toe into digital.
But is there such a thing as a digital replacement for the quality 35mm compact? Contax T3, Nikon 35Ti etc?

I really would like the following spec.

Can bung in readily available disposable batteries in emergency, and not be tied to a future obsolescent sliver of custom lithium.

Must have a viewfinder. A bulky battery guzzling screen I can live without, but I guess you can't halt 'progress'. Still, I want a viewfinder.

A fixed focus lens of 'Sonnar' type quality, and built to last.

Basically I would like a digital version - same size, same cost, same functionality, same build and optical quality as a Contax T3 or similar.

Do you think these will ever re-appear? I know that Canon have the G10 and Olympus have the PEN, amongst others, but they all fall short somehow. Maybe the next T3 or 35Ti is just round the corner. Things seem to be moving that way.

Failing that, does anyone have any good 35mm process and printing recommendations? Anyone still do it the good old-fashioned way instead of some oik roughly digitising your negatives?