PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 25th Jan 2010, 06:54
Dawdler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are crew clear as to why they are asked to strike?

As I understand it the proposed strike at Christmas was in protest at the imposition of the "one crew down" imposition by BA. (I apologise for the shorthand, but that is basically the reason). Nothing I have seen with regard to the forthcoming ballot indicates any change in that reason. Will the ballot paper contain a simple sentence to indicate to voters the reason for that ballot taking place?

I am perplexed by the anger of CC on this matter, many of whom will not have been affected by the change. It would seem that the union have another, unstated agenda, hence the ballot, which will not be completed before the hearing in the High Court as to whether the imposition was legal or not.

BASSA seem to have muddied the waters with untrue statements, (amongst other things about other unions not directly involved) which can only divert attention from the genuine reason for the vote.

It seems to me that BASSA have got themselves in a pickle over a relatively small dispute. They would be well advised to keep their powder dry for (perhaps) a bigger battle to come. This dispute is already having an effect over the whole company.

Where are BASSA hoping to be in six/seven weeks time? With a majority "Yes" vote in their hands, ample volunteers in the wings to help run the company in the event of a strike actually being held, facing off the rest of the employees of BA?

The volunteers need not necessarily be used as CC but used to replace ground staff who are already qualified to so act.

Cabin Crew would be well advised to think things through before voting and then have the moral strength to follow the path decreed by their vote. I say this because some reports indicate that those voting "Yes" appear to have a myriad of reasons to do so, whereas the stated reason remains (unless we have all be misled) simply that of the "one crew down" imposition.

What happens if the High Court Judgement is that BA's actions were legal in the first place? Where does that leave CC?