PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pax Comment - Help Please from Boeing Drivers
Old 25th Jan 2010, 04:24
stilton

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
As professional Pilots we are always our own harshest critics, and you probably always will be. Expecting the utmost from ourselves is normal in this career and that's a good thing.

Because of this, particularly when starting out, a firm landing for example may seem catastrophic in your mind (Passengers opinions do NOT count and you have no reason to apologise)

On an 1800 m runway it's more important than ever to get it down and stopped in quick order. In this respect do not forget that without doubt you accomplished the most important thing.

Believe me, everyone, and mostly you would be far more unhappy with a gentle touchdown too far down the runway and consequent overrun. Have a look at the Pictures of the AA738 in Jamaica and imagine how this crew feels now.

So, keep things in perspective, everyone crunches it on once in while, myself included. learn from it and move on.

A couple of things, make sure you are looking and keep looking at the END of the runway as you come over the threshold, I know you've heard this before but it is vital in judging your flare.

Try to be as close to target speed as possible while aggressively correcting high sink rates with power (especially close to the ground)

I would disagree with the 'mechanical' approach endorsed by some on this thread, especially with reducing power to idle at 50 ft. This may work on a 747 but not on most narrowbody's.

I do agree with 'Glueball' Max Autobrakes is quite severe and I have never used it outside of the sim. It also can make a firm arrival and ensuing rollout seem even more violent than it really needs to be.

If you cannot touchdown in the touchdown zone GO AROUND.

Take a careful look at your flight manual to see recommended settings for different runway lengths / conditions, and just as important talk to your Captains about what they think is appropriate. There may be a time one day when you need 'MAX' but in normal line service it would be very rare.

Try a lower setting and remember you can always trip them off and use manual brakes if you need more (max manual brakes is MORE than max autobrakes for landing) this will usually be smoother.

Happy landings.