PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying Leathernecks on TV in Aussie
View Single Post
Old 25th Jan 2010, 02:11
gileraguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flying Leathernecks on TV in Aussie

there's a John Wayne series here in Saturday nights and they had FL on last Sat night.

I'd always heard that it was a cheesy movie, but I have to say i was really quite surprised by the footage and the script.

Whilst the F6Fs were obviously old and weary, they were authentic and so was the ground attack footage.

The old T6s masquerading as Zeros are something one is used to in early aviation films, and the repainted F6F cockpit used for the Japanese close ups was more amusing than frustrating!

Some of the F6Fs had only one gun in each wing, some had hastily painted out side numbers half visible through a rough smear of black paint. I felt this added to the aura of the film. The effort to get these old hacks in shape for a movie role. Some had rocket racks under the wings, some didn't, but who cares.

The air to air photography was great and the opening sequence was spectacular, F6Fs silhouetted against the tropical sunset.

The F4U4s late in the film were impressive too.

For a 1950's WWII drama, FL was a lot better than some aviation movies from the time.

Waynes Hard @ss commander was in keeping with Gregory Peck in 12 O'Clock high.

The only major fault I could see (that bugged me) was when the pilots were transmitting on their radios. Holding a handpiece in flight with one's right hand was probably more to do with where the camera was positioned in the cockpit close ups than historical accuracy would require.

Overall, and impressive and compelling film, much different than I had been led to believe and worth a watch.

ok, thats up to 10 cents now, I'll just get me coat...