PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which PC case?
Thread: Which PC case?
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2010, 21:37
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
It's an Antec Fusion
Oooo...nookie? - build one of those? Nookie? build one of those? ................... Build one of those.

apologies to Mel Brooks.

Really nice. Found a use for the home-build with a cr@ppy case that supposed to be coming my way.

PSU fitting scam! I didn't know that. Shades of the old days when a few self-important manufactures put a mini board under their 386 co-processors, simply to change the pin-outs. Then they charged hundreds for the chip.

Mind you, IBM full price on that was 1,760 quid. Made it easy to charge 365.

Back to cases. I always used to use Pro-Case. For years they were my standard issue, and were very accurate. Brought 100s of them. Are they still around?

Motherboard installation. One of the things that made my kit reliable was added stanchions. Blind pillars can be added where there are no holes in the mb. but they must not touch fine print lines even if they're plastic. They can wear into them.

Every single screw must be accounted for. Build with the screw supply well away from the kit. Heads of some screws used to be too big, and reach over to some print. Fibre washer could resolve that problem, though some fixing points are required to be tight on the m-board for grounding it - specifially at that point. These are obvious, with a circle of copper around the hole.

Sometimes, I'd find the back-plate of cards would be badly engineered, so doing them up would cause the card to bear down on the m-board via the slot. Mostly commonsense things, but traps for folk that trust manufacturers to be accurate.

Good luck.

Antec Fusion seem to be about the same price here. $159.

Last edited by Loose rivets; 24th Jan 2010 at 21:48.