PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MONEY: Just to get an idea of the way things are...
Old 24th Jan 2010, 21:05
Fair_Weather_Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
25k may be good or bad depending on what stage of your career you are at. I made less than the cost of living (7k ish) as a flying instructor in the US and after a move back to the UK reached the giddy heights of 18k for left seat Air Ambulance flying. These days I probably make about 30k as a turboprop FO. This has been justifiable, even with training costs considered for one reason. That reason is that with more hours and experience I could progress my career and financial benefits; become a 50k turboprop Captain, 60k jet FO then start raking in the 80k+ big bucks that a jet command would bring.

Problem is that career progression has now halted. My employer is not expanding and no pilots are moving on. They are no longer even giving inflationary pay rises! In the short run that means no command. Meanwhile, the jet airlines are using only the pay to fly brigade and will continue to do so as long as it suits their bottom line and the CAA let them. Again, bang goes the career progression.

So, 25k is just fine if you are going to get that quick command upgrade but not acceptable as a long term proposition.