PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 24th Jan 2010, 20:58
wascrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
def not a rep

MISSN is definitely not a rep !
Let me tell you why i come to that conclusion.
She is somewhat typical of the majority of crew.. in that
1) She will be voting yes but hopes she will be on a part time day or day off and not have to have the courage of her convictions. Many crew who vote yes will be hoping the same though for many now the company have taken away the other soft option of going sick.
2) She doesn`t know the facts behind the dispute! One of the reasons for the dispute is the future plans to have a new fleet on different pay and conditions, BA have stated this new fleet will not be started until there is a recovery and growth in traffic.What this will mean for the current crew is that.yes , they will keep their current salaries and conditions but they will become a dying breed, The new cheaper crew will operate the routes that cost BA most in crew terms and where the current crew earn most in variable pay (Tokyo 4 day trip £900 in extra pay versus Virgin paying their crew £170 for example) and the current crew will operate the routes where they cost the least. This also means that in effect they will become a dying breed with no promotion or transfer prospects unless they move to the new fleet for promotion on the new pay scales,
This to me is the major area of dispute and thru discussions with some senior crew what they fear too. The best they hope for is not a separate fleet but a mixture of contracts on all routes. But this will NOT happen! There will be a new fleet sometime. If they/you go on strike , sooner than BA could have hoped for in their wildest dreams.
I would also suggest that BASSA/UNITE have timed this vote as quickly as they could before they loose in the courts over their challenge to BA on breaking contracts.
So MISSM i suggest you do some research as to why you are thinking of going on strike and if you dont have the courage to back up your vote with actions that could possibly lead to dismissal or having to re-apply for your job on new terms and conditions you have to vote NO as should your colleagues.
And for gods sake take some notice of what your customers ( The people who pay your wages!!) are saying on here!!!!!!!