PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CSM dobbing on Capt makes it to Newspaper
Old 24th Jan 2010, 20:50
Pegasus747

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just wonder how CASA who now do Random tests of Tech and Cabin Crew would react if they tested the crew for alcohol as they left the aircraft?

I dont see anything in the REGS that suggests that CASA would somehow be able to turn a blind eye because it's XMAS or Australia Day or ANZAC Day or the CSM's B'day etc..

In no way am i suggesting that the "dobbing" culture should be condoned but i think that there are other issues in todays "professional" workplace where alcohol is problematic.

You may recall that 6 cabin crew known as the LA 6 were terminated by the Company for removal or "unauthorised" use of Company stores. The Union fought very hard and all but one were reinstated. For the CSM and CSS concerned, they were demoted. So i can understand the reticence of a CSM to put himself or herself in a position where their employment was at risk.

Given the newspaper article and the response by TECH CREW management about the issue, ie playing it down, and its not such a big deal, and we have had a chat about it........... Cabin Crew Management could certainly take a leaf out of that book.

Sadly Cabin Crew are not managed professionally the way that Tech Crew (esp Captains) are by their superiors and as such are more concerned about the repercussions of indulging in such a "team bonding event"

As i said before however, a polite no thankyou and an explanation of WHY would have been enough for most CSM's. I would like to know what however beyond that caused the CSM to actually report the matter. There must be more to the story or it would appear that we truly do have a new Canary or dare i say it "the Frankfurt Cuckoo" ?