PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 24th Jan 2010, 17:09
cloudn9ne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asked a CSD yesterday what his feeling were on the ongoing situation with BASSA and BA hoping for an insight into his perspective. I've flown with the guy before and seeing as he is extremely down to earth and a good laugh expected a sensible level headed response.

I was actually very suprised by how passionate and emotional his response was. Its the first time ive seen the raw anger and emotion first hand and as flight crew it really made me take a step back and it really makes me wonder how on earth this can be resolved.

I am very anti strike and dont think this approach will achieve anything but it really does seem the ''lies/ miss-truths'' BASSA is feeding the crew is really working. I've now seen first hand several cases of outright lies from BASSA:

Still claiming how much their origional proposals will achieve when PCW says its about half the figure.

Claiming BALPA had a link for pilot volunteers on its website and that it was actively encouraging volunteers.

Claiming a fixed allowance would mean a pay cut for everyone ( well why not negotiate a better rate?)

Still claiming pilots took a minimal paycut to be repayed with shares( no mention ever of the £2 per flying hour cut and productivity changes)

Allowing claims of Judge cox and the court case being corrupt to remain unanswered on BASSA forums, allowing claims she was flying BA over that period to fester on forum pages.

Allowing claims that strikers cannot be sacked to remain on forum pages.

Comparing Openskies to the current threat (totally different scenarios)

The list goes on. When a member trusts its union to be acting in his/her best interests how can we expect them to know any better and where would we expect them to get the facts from.

Alot of crew on the BASSA forum believe everything they hear from BASSA and dont trust a single word BA says. If a company wants to take money from you maybe you wouldnt trust them either.

He totally believed that this was his fight for survival, that if he did nothing he would be taking a 50% pay cut and this wouldnt provide for him and his family. That he is being bullied by the company etc. He believed it was a no win situation but that a strike is his only option. How can you change the perspective of these people? the same people that believe they are acting in self preservation or ultimately mutual destruction against a threat that has in my opinion been exaggerated and blown out of all proportions by an over zelous union.

How on earth can we get these emotional, passionate and upset crew hell bent on strike to step back from the brink. I dont think we can. They are being pushed from both sides. BASSA and BA