PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coldwar RAF U-2 Pilots
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2010, 15:19
canjock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF U2 pilots

I knew John MacAurthur - he was my Meteor instructor when I went through CFS (180 course, 1955). I next saw him back at CFS immediately after the Gary Powers downing. I was then on the staff as a Trapper. He hung about the place for a few days in a very agitated state and someone mentioned to me that he had been flying the U-2. Many moons later, in the 80s he appeared at DH Canada when I was on the sales staff at Downsview. He was then with DH Australia and was over to learn about the Dash 8 we were about to produce. We chatted on several occasion but I loast trrack of him when he returned to Oz. Was surprised to read that he had taken 'Orders' and was a minister in Australia.
I was also very friendly with another member of an overfly crew, this time in the B-45 Tornados that the RAF used on several occasions in the early 1950s. Bill Lindsay was a flight engineer on No 149 Sqn (B-29 - Coningsby) when I was one on No 44 Sqn. He would disappear for extended periods and refused to say where he had been. It was not until much later that I read about the overflights that he had taken part in. Unfortunately, he was later killed in a B-29 accident in the UK.