PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TomTom iPhone Holder (GPS Booster) and Light Aircraft
Old 24th Jan 2010, 14:49
Zaphod the 0th

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TomTom iPhone Holder (GPS Booster) and Light Aircraft

Hi,

I have a couple of questions with regards to using the TomTom iPhone holder and iPhone in a light aircraft, solely for the purpose of plotting the route flown, not for anything navigational. For those who don't know, the TomTom iPhone holder has a GPS chip in it - this therefore allows you to use your iPhone in "Flight" or Airplane mode and still receive GPS information. However, the holder does have a Bluetooth chip in it for the purpose of hands-free calls, and as far as I'm aware this cannot be disabled (even if the iPhone is in airplane mode and has its bluetooth turned off). I'd be looking to use MotionX GPS to plot the flight tracks and then export these to Google Earth or similar when back on the ground.

Is it legal to use this on board an aircraft (particularly with the Bluetooth in the holder)? As I said earlier, I won't be using the iPhone for any kind of navigation, and will probably even have the screen turned off. I'll be flying in the UK.

Do most light aircraft (C152s, etc) have a car-style cigarette lighter/12V socket that can be used to power this? (I'm soon to be starting my PPL and haven't been in a light aircraft for a little while, so can't remember if there were any such sockets)

Thanks for the help.