PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MONEY: Just to get an idea of the way things are...
Old 24th Jan 2010, 11:11
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you look at contract work as Capt (as that is all I have recent direct experience of to comment on ) the going rate 10yrs ago was around 10,000$ / 8000€ / 5000sterling at the exchange rates of the time.

Nowadays ? well, some of the stay away from home guys are still getting that, but the majority of contracts are hovering around the 6000€ mark.
In the current market we are getting cheaper & cheaper, a recent African 6mth non-commuting contract was reportedly offering 6000$ ! ! for Capt, and I am sure they will have takers.
Until (IF ) the market goes full circle we are stuck with getting paid cr@p in this "profession" in comparison to 10yrs ago.

We always fail miserably to claw much of it back when times are good, so the only question is how steep/shallow the descent in the meantime.

When/if we turn the corner ? anybodies guess, I have no idea, but it can't come soon enough.

25 grand ? just an insult, the beanies think we are just bus drivers, and now they don't even want to pay us as well as one.