PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - GR-9 question please chaps
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 22:18
recce_FAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GR-9 question please chaps

I know this topic has been done to death, however I have simple question and I request a simple answer (for a pongo )

Why when us guys on the ground are having a pretty tough time in Afghanistan are the RAF/MOD getting rid of the finest CAS aircraft in the skies. I am not bashing the GR4 community at all, they dig out blind for us and provide a sterling service.However the GR-9 in a decent pilots hands are second to none.

Please spare me the old lines ''two pairs of eyes are better than one'' or ''GR-9 hasnt got a gun' because that is a comment made by Google pilots that havnt been calling for CAS or sending a CAS brief(9-line for you out of date punters)whilst in contact. ''Happy IV'' are finished at the end of March, which is depressing news for many a JTAC that has called on IV's services in the past few years.

Like I have stated this is not a GR-4 bashing thread at all, I just would like a simple explanation as to why this silly idea is happening.Even if we kept hold of them for a few more years until operations in Afghan are scaled back(if ever).

Any answers would be gratefully accepted.

Regards

Widow 3_