PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Bomb alert' closes part of Munich Airport
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 22:03
gofer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tighten up security

The whole process is - at least at most airports - an insult to security and common sense, but as my wise 91 year old mother would tell you "common sense is NOT common, it is very very rare".

The full body scan I can understand as it solves a lot of the current weaknesses for things carried on the body.

Concerning hand carried items, I personally can not understand why my papers and boarding pass are not taken with the hand luggage and only handed back after ALL items have been cleared, especially a PC! My passport and boarding pass should have been checked as valid and a likeness beforehand of course.

Should such a runaway occur security has a likeness (if the forgot to run a video of the area!) if they are doing a good job.

Further common sense things would be:

a) reduce the number of people in the airport building by only letting pax into the building (1st security check against ID and booking).
b) at that time do a facial scan / retina scan matched to the ID being used and the booking document - finger print scan also if so desired.
c) one could consider passing all this data sorted by allocated seat to the arrival airport - News for free seating airlines (forget it - and get programming).
d) 2nd security check is issue of boarding card if not already issued
e) 3rd check at the hand luggage / scan check
f) 4th check at the gate
g) 5th check if so desired by airline, at aircraft entry !