PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - assisting disabled passengers in an emergency
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 20:09
lowcostdolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amf 1966 bealzebub has said most of what I wanted to say to you but has probably been far more articulate than me!

Apologies for not making clear I was responding to the context of the OP as I think Tighslot was as well.

A couple of points I would like to pick up on here pertinent to what you describe as your "disability". CC are not allowed to use this term as it's not PC. We have to say "Passengers requiring assistance" which can mean anything from a full blown paralysis to slight visual impairement or deafness.

Please be assured that any SCCM worth their role will know how much assistance you need because they will ask you. If you boarded my flight the ground staff (if you have notified them) will tell me you are "blind" and will pre board you. I will either then brief you myself on safety and exits or I will delegate this to a crew member to do this. Part of this briefing will be for the CC to establish how much you can actually see and to tell you how many rows you are from an exit. Despite the fact we have the free for all seating policy I will allocate you a seat so I know exactly where you are in the event of an evac.

In a pre planned emergency landing all PRM's (passengers with restricted mobility) are allocated in theory an able bodied person (ABP) to assist them. If they are travelling solo thats a big ask for a stranger sitting next to them as their survival instinct will probably kick in. It's better to rely on the PRM's travelling companions but there is always the chance they could become incapacitated. In an unplanned emergency it would be everyone for himself.

If you could make it to the top of the slide I wouldn't make you wait because you are "disabled". I would push you down it just as I would anyone else!! If you had your white stick I would take that from you as it could damage the slide and make it unusable for anyone else or it could fly off and injure someone.

If you couldn't get to the slide and only if it was safe for me to do so I would try and assist you. If I felt my life was in danger I would be off and telling the airport fire and rescue service where you were sitting.......sorry if that seems harsh.

Two-tone-blue has a good approach

Also a general observation here. If anyone requires assistance please tell the CC and please be honest about how much you require. To us it isn't just about telling the dispatcher to telex Malaga re the amount of wheelchairs. We have to tell the Capt re PRM's in case we do have an evac and there are regulations re the amount we can carry.

The amount of pax whom I see being lifted onto the plane at LGW as a PRM only to skip off the plane the other end because they don't want to wait for their assistance is shocking. It also diverts limited resources away from those who genuinely need it.