PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 19:17
lowcostdolly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ottergirl I don't carry my degree around with me and I doubt if many Doctors do either so I would agree with you on not always knowing about qualifications.

Does the BA PA not ask for a Doctor of Medicine, nurse, midwife or paramedic?

I know from experience that sometimes any well meaning vet or dentist will pitch up and they can help in a lot of ways for instance they will be able to get intravenous access if you carry the equiptment. However there is no point them doing this if CC blinded by SOP's will not then let them give the right drugs

You make reference to Medlink a service that I have used on occasion in my previous airline and they are invaluable to the CC and even some medical personnel at times.

Medlink can also check the credentials, even if they just have a name on the assisting volunteer, in a matter of minutes. That should provide reassurance to the SCCM that the person is appropriatly qualified to take over the situation.

I'm not knocking what the CC did here but I do feel if we PA for a profesional then if they agree to give their expertise then we should accept it in good faith.

Incidentally just to let you know any professional that volunteers their help on a plane is outside their comfort zone and thinks very carefully. For instance I put in intravenous cannula's on the ground and give intravenous drugs without a second thourght in the hospital enviroment.

On a plane the room moves without warning when I try to do this and if the casualty has a reaction to a drug I don't have the luxury of the back up I do in an ED so I consider my actions very carefully. Not all medical personnel are "have a go heroes". They just want to help the best way they can. As a nurse my code of practice stipiulates limits of competence etc and I'm sure Doctors have the same. We do not ignore those as we could loose our right to practice.

IMHO CC training (whatever company) needs to take the emphasis on CC being in control because we are not. We are not qualified to be. We are only first responders with very limited training and when somebody more qualified gives the value of their training and experience we should be taught to accept it.