PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 18:32
ottergirl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I merely pointed out that if a cardiac surgeon says "stop CPR" then, unless you are a cardiac surgeon with equal experience, you stop.
Desertia, some of your posts are enough to make the most moderate of NO voting crew reach for the ballot paper and vote yes just to spite you!

Just to help you get to grips with this, the reason why BA issued the 30 minute guideline is, after consultation with Medlink, (a professional medical advisory service based in Phoenix), this was deemed to provide the balance between life-preserving and brain damage issues. The reason why we are instructed to ignore any other opinions is that a doctor/Cardiac surgeon may not necessarily be so, they tend not to carry their degree around with them and a Cardiac Surgeon trained in say Somalia may not have the same training or values around the sanctity of life. Before all you Somalian surgeons jump on the bandwagon I make no judgements on your training, I'm sure it is perfectly adequate! In fact, when we PA for a doctor we get offers of help from midwives, vets, psychiatrists, urologists and even doctors of other learning altogether! It is quite a traumatic experience having to resuscitate a dead stranger on a galley floor and not the time to be making a judgement call on the authenticity of a volunteer. It is better to have a SOP to cover all eventualities. I hope that satisfies you as to why the crew may have stuck to the SOPs and not listened to professional advice as you would have preferred. Hopefully the families of those resuscitated will always consider it a job well done!