PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gulf Air Developments
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 18:14
Panama Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't understand what the problem is.

Female cabin crew are nothing new at Gulf Air. There are, at present, one or two female Bahraini Cabin Crew and a few months ago (September 2009?) the inflight magazine ran an article about women in their careers in Bahrain, including one Bahraini lady who was cabin crew back in the glory days of the airline, L1011's and all. We ran through a bit of this when our first female Bahraini pilot came on-line and a few males were expressing their doubts about the suitability of it all. That issue is, thankfully, largely behind us-- she is still with us, promoted to flying the widebody fleet, and we now have a few more Bahraini pilots of the opposite sex.

As far as incompetence, that is not unique to nationality or sex and to paint a group with a broad brush is both unfair as it is inaccurate. Not all males, or females, or expats, or Bahrainis are competent or incompetent. That is where a good selection and monitoring process is important. Personally, I like the idea of seeing women take on meaningful employment and being part of the mainstream. However, I expect female Bahraini cabin crew to carry their share of the load as I would any other colleague. I support their rights, but am not willing to pander or mollycoddle either.

Last edited by Panama Jack; 23rd Jan 2010 at 18:25.