PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish Air Traffic Controllers to be suspended
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 14:27
hangten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like comment on this thread and provide a bit of a summary. I stress that I don't have any details but am only collating rumour from this website.

I don't approve of striking out of process (there wasn't 24 hours notice for this strike). However, the reason for the strike seems entirely reasonable. The mere mention of ATCO wages by IAA management has twisted this issue into something it is not. From what I can guage there are two main issues:

1. A new system tool was introduced which meant that a single tactical controller is now on a position which was previously manned by two - a planner and a tactical. This is akin to improving an aircraft FMS and decreeing that that a First Officer is now not required on the flight deck. This change was not discussed but was enforced. 15 controllers refused to work on grounds of safety and were suspended without pay. This appears to me to be entirely unacceptable and the controllers have my full support.

2. A 6% pay rise was agreed as part of a previous negotiation. I can't find confirmation of this but it is my expectation that there was a compromise on terms and conditions to secure this rise. With the downturn in the economy IAA management has now attempted to renege on this agreement and IMPACT are pursuing legal action for breach of a contract. How would you feel if this was you?

The controllers went out on strike ONLY for reason ONE above and reason one ONLY (probably because they felt confident that they would win their legal process on reason two). IMPACT told IAA that all ATCOs would return to work immediately if their colleagues were reinstated. This was the only demand and instead IAA released details of their wages to newspapers and goaded MOL into what he does best. It's a dirty underhand tactic that has worked wonders judging by the responses on this thread from pilots and engineers furious that they are not as well renumerated as their industry colleagues.

So here is some of my opinion:

Earlier somebody scoffed at the fact that only 5 GCSEs at C or above are required to apply to be a controller and implied that this in some way means that it is not a skilled job. It is internationally recognised that an air traffic controllers license is equal to a batchelor degree (this is true when applying for immigration in many countries) however this is not the point. The point is that almost everybody on this website could therefore have applied to be a controller. This is not a cartel, not a secret society but a career and profession open to anyone. If you're 18 and straight out of school, apply, if you're 25 and don't like your job or have just finished your PHd in whatever, apply; if you're 35 and working elsewhere in the industry aggrieved that you don't earn as much, apply. We'd welcome you with open arms since we're constantly short of controllers. Which brings me to my next point.

If the wages, terms and conditions are so favourable how on Earth are virtually all countries short of controllers? Why is the world and his wife not applying to work in ATC? Well, in the short term they do. 5000+ people applied for my course and just 28 were selected. 16 made it from college to unit and 10 or so acheived validation (only 7 at first attempt). ATC is a highly skilled, exacting profession with standards of safety second to none in industry. Any industry, in my opinion. It is for these reasons that it is so difficult to become a controller. Put simply there are not that many people capable of doing the job efficiently and safely. It takes confidence, skill and a certain demeanor in proportions that are hard to quantify.Training processes are under constant review to improve the chances of people success but when it comes down to that last validation board the reason you don't worry about bumping into someone else when you jet off on holiday or leave for that business meeting is that a controller's license is not granted unless that person is safe.

Henceforth, over the years controllers conditions have improved ahead of the curve of wider industry for two reasons:

1. To attract enough people such that the pool is large enough to find those whom are capable.
2. Those in the profession are in high demand and have extensive bargaining power to improve their conditions since they know that they are a highly skilled minority.

Do not begrudge them their money. They enjoy it, and some applied because of it. However it takes more commitment and drive than simply money to succeed at a complex unit and therefore, I don't think I know a single controller who puts his wage ahead of the travelling public. It's part of that complex make up that ensures a person is suitable for the job. Irish controllers were in the street and not in their operations rooms for the safety of the travelling public. If you can't believe that because it wouldn't be you, or you can't believe that it can't not be about money then perhaps you shouldn't bother applying since your outlook on life means the odds of a successful validation are already against you.

Rant over.

Finally: IMPACT. What an unfortunate acronym for any organisation associated with Air Traffic Control.

Last edited by hangten; 23rd Jan 2010 at 14:55. Reason: Typos!