PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Training
Thread: ATC Training
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 08:32
10 DME ARC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Callum
I wouldn't like to think which of my ex colleges described NATS training as boring?? As someone who was training by NATS or as it was then CAA/NATS I can say the training is some of the best in the world. I worked for NATS for 10 years then Newcastle 18 years and I am now in Dubai, being trained by NATS has stood me in good stead over the years. What they could have been hinting at was NATS recruit about 80/20% Area/Tower so you would be more likely to become an Area Controller as a Tower Controller but this again is far from boring!?
NATS is the main organisation to train ATCO’s in the UK, the only other option is be employed by an airport as an Air Traffic Control Assistant and then they ‘may’ pay for you to be trained up to be a Controller. Not all airports do this and then the ones who do may send you to NATS for your training any way or possibly one of the other few non-NATS ATC Colleges around the country, as Newcastle do now.
NATS recruit 100 times more controllers a year than the other non NATS airport put together mind you! So I would say your chances of becoming a controller is far better applying for NATS. All of this is of course dependent upon you having the aptitude and being medically fit for the job.
Best of luck.
10D