PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC Training
Thread: ATC Training
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 05:36
Scooby Don't

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
callumj94 - it is worth pointing out to you, and any other potential recruits browsing the board, that all ab-inito ATC training course will involve a great deal of book learning.

A parallel can be drawn with training to be a family doctor. A GP's normal workload is fairly humdrum and treatment of patients usually extends only as far as writing prescriptions, but they have to carry an enormous amount of knowledge around and there's always the possibility of a GP being the first or only doctor at the scene of an emergency requiring live-saving skills.

Likewise, much of the workload of an ATCO is fairly routine, albeit often very busy. We still have to be ready for those days when it's beyond busy and somebody calls MAYDAY.

I don't want to put you, or anyone else, off applying for ATC training if it's what you really want to do, but you must be realistic. While there are old campaigners around who hate graduates, the fact is that pretty much all ATCOs have the intelligence to gain a university degree. Many entrants to the profession are graduates now. As an arts graduate, I can safely say I worked harder in one year at the College of ATC (as it was) than in three years at university. Having a degree, or the intelligence to obtain one, is no guarantee of success in ATC training, but that does not detract from the fact that the book learning is an essential part of the job.

On an approved course, you'll learn about meteorology, air law, navigation, aircraft performance and characteristics, and a fair bit more. You'll learn large chunks of the Manual of Air Traffic Services Pt1. That is on top of the practical learning in the simulators. As Sweet Potatos (potatoes?) says, it ain't easy!