PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish Air Traffic Controllers to be suspended
Old 23rd Jan 2010, 01:26
thorisgod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my P60 this week. With my Gross earning for the year listed.
Yes It's less than 230K
Yes it's less than 160K
Yes it's less than 115k, considerably less.
I thought 115K was the average basic, yet my gross covers every cent I recieved for a 12 month period and I am more than half way up the payscale.

Can I write to IAA management to ask where the shortfall is?
Have they payed me for only part of the year?
Answers on a postcard please to IAA.

When you write to them advise them that I never compromise safety, regardless of circumstances, traffic levels, staffing levels or lack of reductions in traffic flow while coping with new work practices or procedures (that's "technology" by the way.)

My first and furthermost thought every day at work is the safety of the flying public (including pilots believe it or not.) Even MOL on a plane can buy a scratchcard at his leisure safe in the knowledge that I am doing my utmost to make sure he gets to his ADES as safely as I can possibly manage.

History has shown where even though Inquiries into Accidents show the ANSP at fault, dead passengers' relatives can take it into their own hands to murder the controller at fault. This to me seems a little more serious than "mispractise" or whatever it's called in the medical circles when a doctor gets sued for a wrong decision. Yet a doctor is credited with a high salary for his level of responsibility.

Am I wrong to expect the same.

I know someone who lately survived a bus crash when the driver fell asleep at the wheel. Recompense; Nil. I admire pilots. ........ I don't get it personaly (wrong anorak,) but I get that they are passionate about what they do. I too am passionate about my job as an ATCO. I enjoy and embrace the challenge.

Pilots fly several tonnes of metal through the air at hundreds of miles an hour to bring people on holidays "or just their mail." Every time they start a shift they assume a huge responsibility. Me too, no less, in that I try to keep them apart. I am willing to do this with a great bunch of colleagues on both sides of the RT and am saddened to see people at each others throats in this and many other Threads.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that together we are bigger than what the Media paint us to be at our lowest perceived moments.

Trust us when we say Safety First, but don't mock us when we expect to be accordingly remunerated.

Thorisgod.