PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - easyJet/CTC Cadet Pilot Slavery Contract
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 22:12
Adios

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Captplaystation,

Would it be legal for EZ pilots to call a strike to support these non-union contract pilots? I am not asking you to speculate whether BALPA would ever ballot it's EZ members or to prognosticate the outcome of such a ballot if it happened. Is there any legal basis that a strike could be called? What basis would or could EZ's solicitors challenge the strike on if the ballot were properly and legally managed?

The total fees paid by a batch of 20 of these wannabes is less than £1Million and even a 3 day walkout could cost the company 10-20 times that, while simultaneously focusing the public's mind on the fight.

The regulators won't act unless there is a body count or a public outcry and the public doesn't even know what is going on.
The high street banks will keep doing what high street banks do unless the regulators stop them (see first bullet).
The Training Captain's are paid to train and will be replaced if they don't.
The FTOs want their grads employed instead of someone else's and won't unite to say no to EZ.
The banks of Mum and Dad won't unite because they want Rupert to at least have a bit of money coming in to help keep them and him under their roof (I also don't assume, like some, that all of the wannabes borrowed £80K to get their CPL/IR).
The wannabes who don't need bank of Mum and Dad will be at the head of the queue with nothing but a botched interview to keep their foot off the first rung of the ladder.
EZ will keep doing what they do and this won't be the end of it.

So it really comes down to the flight deck crews and union and what leverage they can muster, though I will certainly understand that they might not want to lay all their cards out on PPrune for EZ managers to see.