PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What Future for GPS?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 19:23
BEagle

Received 279 Likes on 113 Posts
I suspect that this is all political posturing. There's no way that the ooorah-jingoistic spams would ever contemplate a proposal to
....engage European allies on sharing their proposed Galileo global navigation satellite system.
unless it was to steal technology or gain some other high ground. No doubt they don't like the fact that someone other than Uncle Spam has been contracted to put the first operational Galileo vehicles in orbit either.

If you compare the performance of an early Garmin with the performance of a current Garmin in your car, you will note that, even though signal reception might be identical, later models are much cleverer. They 'know' that, if the 'present position' as received from satellites suddenly buggers off over the nearest hedge, the system's intelligence thinks "Well, I'm still doing 50 mph, so I'm probably still on the mapping's roads - and that's what I'll assume until the GPS gets its $hit together again". Some car systems use a LINS and/or wheel velocity sensors to confirm acceleration rates, but even with a basic standalone system, I've seen significant positional CEPs displayed which still haven't upset the car-on-road position.... It amuses me the way a Garmin 'tracks' your progress through a tunnel much as 'last known velocity' was used in certain ECCM modes of the Phantom's MCS.

Much as velocity rate limiters can prevent (probably classified) AAM decoying methods, it doesn't take much synergy to defeat seduction of GPS present position using another system - even basic acceleration rate gates.

Sorry, General, you'll have to fund your own GPS upgrade.