PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilots help!!!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 17:49
suas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Smokie

I would say if its something you really want to do go for it. No point living life with regrets. I am just about to finish training, so heres my two cents worth.
Get the ppl finished, either in Ireland or in the US (cheap and quick) contact all the flight schools in ireland, PTC, NFC, Atlantic in Cork but also the flying clubs where it is cheaper to do the ppl, for example Waterford Aeroclub or Kilkenny, good value for Ireland.
next step are the ATPLs which can be done full time in Cork in 6 months for 3700 euro or part time distance learning from many schools.
then 100hrs hour building, again very cheap in Waterford aeroclub, or the US, perhaps for 7 or 8 grand.
Then it gets expensive with CPL and Multi Engine IR and MCC.
Go and speak to your bank manager/credit union.
Speak to as many people involved in aviation as possible, call into the schools and clubs, chat to the instructors and students, even if your at the airport chat to pilots for a minute or two.
Check the flying in ireland magazine and website.
Check the Guild of Air Pilots and navigators website, some good stuff there.

Also, be careful with fancy advertising from schools, remember they are money making businesses, only believe half of what you read on pprune, full of people whinging!!

Friend of mine just got an offer for Ryanair (but he will have to pay for the type rating so there are some jobs there, and it seems to be picking up a little (a little).

So get all your ducks in a row, get on with the PPL (its a great hoby anyway, even if its not a job) and then decide if a career is for you.

Best of luck with it.