PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilots help!!!
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 17:38
Dane-Ger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I personally wouldn't go the CTC route just now, especially at your age. Modular is the way in the current climate. If you want to fly, complete your PPL and fly, take your time and enjoy it. You can then make decisions about your future and how far you want to take your training, one step at a time, at your own pace, as and when you can afford it. The other alternative is, as has been mentioned, microlight or gliding, both fantastic fun.

You are not too old, but you also have to be realistic that some jobs are not going to be there for you. I started as a 17 year old on an RAF flying scholarship and got my PPL. It took me until last year as a 34 year old to complete my CPL and MEIR. The small amount of debt I took out to complete the last part of my MEIR is now paid off because I kept my full time job whilst training (with some unpaid leave).

There is work out there, I have at least three good leads on full time work just now, all through contacts I have made whilst flying. none of them will make me rich and none of them are on big shiny jets. With no debt I don't need a huge wage to repay loan repayments and survive which will let me do what I want to do, fly!

If you go integrated just now you will bound by an expensive contract, finished within a year or so, and most probably unemployed.

good luck
regards
D-G