PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Haven't got your choice of meal available - why does this happen?
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 12:54
jetset lady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHBM,

As you say, the final load figures fluctuate right up until departure but we're usually talking about a relatively low amount of passengers. 5, 10 or even 15 people arriving last minute can usually be accomodated, but I'm not so sure it would be possible for the entire Club cabin to be able to choose their meals, that close to departure. Once the catering rep has run out of uploads from his van, that is it and we have to make do with what we have. If anyone is in the know, I'd love to know the time frame, from taking the first meal out of the freezer, to loading the whole caboodle onto the aircraft.

Maybe a choice could be made at the time of booking, but then again, I could see that causing other problems. Cost would no doubt be an issue for the beancounters, but there is also the fact that people may change their minds. On Friday they may fancy chicken, but by the time they board on Monday, they could be leaning towards the lamb. As it is, a fair number of people that order a special meal, change their minds once on board, although to be fair, it's not always the passenger that has booked the choice. PA's, in particular, seem to be very keen on putting their bosses on diets!

Gulfstreamaviator,

I'm sorry. I'm probably being really thick here, but I'm not completely sure what you are asking. As far as cross contamination of flight crew meals goes, I suppose it's a case, as with everything in life, of minimising the risk as far as is practical. That and making damn sure I know how to operate the radio on every aircraft I fly, just in case!

Last edited by jetset lady; 22nd Jan 2010 at 13:05.