PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - CC Industrial Relations Mk V
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 10:57
Plan 10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And further repudiation of the outright lies from BASSA:

Lizanne,

This has become a regular complaint now. We have, in the past, tolerated snipes and snide remarks from your organisation but as the stakes are so high for you, and our employer, we must now play this completely by the book (and letter of the LAW).

YET AGAIN you have posted a completely false and potentially libelous statement about BALPA on your forum. I attach it below. We have never and will never put any link or other tacit support for Backing BA on our forum or elsewhere. In this dispute we remain neutral as an organisation, our Chairman Brendan O'Neal made that very clear the moment "Backing BA" was launched. Our members are at liberty to volunteer for the scheme if they so wish. We give no guidance or assistance if they choose to do this. This is in line with any other voluntary scheme BA have ever run. BALPA does not dictate actions to our members.

To correct another obvious error, we never asked for your "support" during the OpenSkies dispute with BA. I made several phone calls to Sean Beatty to brief him but never made an approach for assistance. BALPA as a whole did seek a Unite endorsement for our campaign at the TUC but that was downstream of our dispute. A handful of your members supported us on our march on 15th March but that numbered no more than half a dozen. There were of course many spouses and partners of our members that may well have also been members of your union- we did not log marchers' affiliation. It is however incorrect to say BALPA asked for support or indeed that any was given by BASSA either overtly or otherwise.

I ask you to consider the effect your communications may have on relations between our two communities. Our respective members work together in a very proximate and safety critical environment. Creating a divide and spreading false and inflammatory comments about our community and/or union will not help either side maintain a safe, dignified and professional atmosphere in the workplace. We must both do our utmost to preserve relations between our respective workgroups.

The above will be followed up by a letter from John Moore to Steve Turner. Once again, we request you remove or edit the offending article at the earliest opportunity and in any event by midday today (22nd Jan). We reserve our right to litigate if you fail to comply.

The above is all subject to disclosure due to your ongoing legal action with BA. I will also post it on our forum for our members for their information. You are free to do likewise.

xxxxxx xxxxxxx
British Airways Company Council
BALPA