PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - One week, one big country... where to go?
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 10:47
Ando1Bar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's something eerie but wonderful about flying up the middle of Australia. A buzz around Lake Eyre is amazing, even if the lake is bone, white dry.

Coober Pedy and Oodnadatta are odd little places. If stopping at YOOD ask the man from the pink roadhouse to bring down some works burgers when he comes to pump your fuel. YOOD reminded me of the location of a horror film. All I could think was missing pilots made up the meat in the burgers. Mind the stones, or should I say rocks - major opportunity for prop damage.

Up to Uluru for a scenic and Alice Springs (some controlled airspace work for you). The landing fee at Uluru was $50 last time I landed, and there were no facilities apart from a toilet and drink machine at the airport (don't expect a cafe for lunch).

Head across the Simpson Desert to Birdsville for a night at the hotel. Don't fork out for the Aussie BBQ - a total rip off. Pay for a meal in the hotel instead. Unfortunately you cannot taxi up to the hotel anymore, but still a good experience. Fuel was $2.50 a litre a little while ago, and no carnet facilities.

If going to Windorah say hello to the lovely Bub.

Longreach is a good airport and the Jumbuck motel is just across the road. A bit of a walk in to the main bit of town for a meal after a long day of flying, but the RSL has cheap drinks and massive steaks (750 grams goes down well). The Qantas museum is a bit pricey, especially the tour of the fading 747.

Don't stop in Bourke if going that way. Got stuck there one night, that was enough for me. Unfortunately nothing but run down businesses and houses, and locals in hoodies yelling out 'faggot' on the walk home from the RSL.

If going west, drop in to Forrest for some fuel and a coffee. The names of the new operators escape me, but they were very welcoming. Their hut is full of photos and business cards from visiting pilots, and the toilet is graffitied with banter from defence force pilots.