PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - More easyJet Pilot Slavery Deals - Oxford Aviation Academy
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 10:03
Norman Stanley Fletcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

Regarding Wingswinger, I completely back his views. The Beak, during the course of his unfortunate rants, has not grasped some critical details. The first is that the OAA guys, love them or hate them, have gone through a selection procedure that is as rigorous as any in easyJet's history. By any critieria they have made the grade and are bona fide applicants to join easyJet. I realise the same could not be said of last year's ATP scheme but that is now gone. That is not to take away from any individual who got through the scheme, but the success rate was way too low compared with that from a group of traditionally selected pilots. The top end of the scale was fine but the bottom end was not - as the success rate showed. I believe that easyJet has learnt its lesson and will not go through such a system again. These OAA guys have been recruited in a totally different way, so it is not true to say they are sub-standard. Whether they are wise or not is another matter. Also, the financial arrangements are such that the scheme massively disadvantages those from less well-off backgrounds.

Also sidtheesexist, I can again only agree with Wingswinger and not apportion blame to the individuals. We all did what we had to do in order to get a start in flying - they can hardly be blamed for doing so. This is not a moral issue from the cadet's perspective - but the same could not be said from the company's.

Finally, just to clear up any doubt, Wingswinger is not management but is a highly-respected senior Training Captain at easyJet with a level of experience most of the contributors here could only dream of. I personally find his arguments very persuasive. Whether you like his thoughts or not, they do come from someone who seriously knows his stuff and I would recommend listening to him.