PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 09:44
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yellow Sun, the AAPP would not be available because on the VIP Display scarambles the aim was to show the 2-min capability and it was always done from a power-off stance, ie the airfield would be completely silent only the 28v power would be online IIRC, and only the intercom live.

A mass-rapid power off start was quite something as the 1st aircraft would be rolling within 25-35 seconds.

As for SD Hats, indeed we did. We might have been in flying suits but we stil had to salute. Even on routine training flights we always wore hats to the aircraft. The two windows in the rear were ideal for the radar and AEO hats until they put some kit in the AEOs window.

We also used to take a service-issued suit travel bag on every flight. After changing in flying clothing we would all pack trousers and jacket into the bag - all 5 sets in one bag. We didn't need shirts however as we wore the blue wooly aircrew shirt and, until the risk of being throttled, we wore ties too.

As the long johns, with rubber button, were grandad cast-offs many would wear uniform trousers under their flying suits.