PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish Air Traffic Controllers to be suspended
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 07:30
Cows getting bigger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys, Prstwick was boring.

Trying to understand the issues, am I correct with the following?

IAA want to introduce new kit/procedures. I presume that, like any developed nation, they will be following a strict safety management process whenever introducing 'change'. It isn't clear to me where this process currently stands; has the change been implemented?

A number (12?) controllers are suspended. In the UK an employer will only suspend an employee if the employer's legal team are absolutely sure that the suspensions are within the law. Can anyone say why these controllers were suspended? What had they refused to do?

The rest is just like many other industrial disputes. The union gets involved and members walkout in support of their colleagues.

Forgive me if I am wrong or have missed some salient points, but I'm trying to get my head around why a whole nation can be held to economic ransom (bearing in mind you have a crap economy right now) because you chaps are sure you are 'right' (I honestly don't have a view whether you are or not). Where will it all go from here? How many controllers did Ronald Regan sack in 1981?