PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Finnish-modified F-18D Hornet crashes
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 03:31
dat581

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK so maybe it was the FrankenHornet;

The question remains, why if a converted CF/A18, or attempted make of an F/A18E-F, no big intakes, just apparently big leading root extensions - LERX - so I presume no engines to match, and even the F/A18E has not really proven up to wondrous AofA & tailsldes, sadly given other displays.

I presume the F-18E/F etc ( inc. other aircraft - how about disbanded F-14's ? ) has been made available to Canada, but at at a silly price; if I were in the U.S. I might be thinking of assisting the protection of one of one's most important borders !
WTF?

The CF-18 is the Canadian version of the F-18A and the only differences from a US F-18A is a few black boxes, a large spot light on the left side and some darker paint. The C&D versions are still the same size shape etc as the A&B and came off the same production line. They have updated systems and some have uprated engines. Also the one and two seat hornets are exactly the same from the rear end of the cockpit all the way to the rear of the aircraft.

The super hornet (the E&F) is a completely different aircraft with almost no parts in common with the A,B,C & D models. It is a much larger aircraft and it is not possible to mix parts between them. Have a look at a photo of them sitting side by side.

It would be like cutting the front off a 777 and stiching it onto a 747, it's just not possible.