PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: To hand fly, or use the automatics?
Old 22nd Jan 2010, 00:01
lowerlobe
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where do I start? Just a few random thoughts,
breakfastburrito....

I agree,very random actually....but if it helps make you feel better keep telling yourself that....

I imagine flight engineers,navigators and blacksmiths not that long ago said exactly the same thing....

Interestingly,on another thread a question was asked about QF 737 pay scales.Remembering what you said about pilot pay scales being close to national wage average I thought I would read it....
Year 1 F/O currently $148.52/ hour. I'm not sure how many hours the 737 drivers are doing these days but 900 plus or minus a bit would be in the ball park. As you can see, 900 hours per annum is going to give you $134K. EPs, sims, etc extra. Year 4 F/O is on $156. A 6% bonus is payable if the execs give themselves 100% of their bonus. 3% bonus if they give themselves 50% of their bonus, etc. 3% pay rises due in Sep 2010 and Sep 2011.

Year 1 Captain rate is currently $232. Same deal for the rest of it above.

Not sure how their super works or what it is based upon but it's in addition to the above numbers. Obviously DTA and allowances are on top also.
Now breakfastburrito....The average wage in Australia..depending on who you talk to is between $57,000 and $63,000......somewhat less than a first year 737 F/O in fact less than half.

When considering automated flight decks we are not talking about small regional commuter airlines as you were mentioning we are talking about legacy and LCC airlines.

So breakfastburrito, if you think that airline execs are not thinking and asking Boeing and Airbus of ways to lower that cost by way of automation you are dreaming.