PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-Air Collision over Southern Germany (merged)
Old 2nd Jul 2002, 15:01
Pontious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Please feel free to correct me but wasn´t there an incident over Asia a few years ago where a BA(?) 744 came perilously close to another aircraft(Chinese747?).Conclusion was that 1 or both aircraft were provided with incorrect TCAS instructons.
The impending collision prevented by 1 or both aircrew responding to visual contact with the other aircraft,both aircraft missed each other by a couple of hundred metres.Anybody else remember that one?
I´ve flown over the block of airspace where Zurich/Rhein/Vien ACC´s border regularly for most of my professional career and often had radar vectors/Cruising Mach no. alterations/level changes for traffic avoidance with conflicting aircraft sometimes 2 or 3 ATC sectors or even Countries away.
NEVER 1 minute to loss of seperation!Something here doesn´t add up.I would prefer to hear the A/C -ATC voice transcripts before voicing an opinion.Any operating aircrew or scanner radio enthusiasts catch the instructions given by ATC?
Accidents are rarely the result of one factor,more a combination of events snowballing out of control.
Keep It Safe,Stupid!
Heart felt sympathies to all.