PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Army’s most senior officer: UAV's over JSF?
Old 21st Jan 2010, 15:37
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a thought;

as Iraq is now 'under control' ( I considered it for a holiday or timeshare, but maybe UK South Coast this year ) - and massive U.S. kit in Afghanistan,
how about we concentrate on the Somali pirates - taking the gloves off a little, if that isn't what already happens unofficially - while the U.S. considers yet another war, with Yemen, and we supply support to the ' Stan with UCAV's as the nice American chap says - would save a lot of good people ?!

Incidentally, I heard an interesting piece the other day on Radio 4 by a British ship captain who'd successfully fended off Somali pirates, saying the Somali fishermen are really p'd off with the local pirates for giving them a bad press; I'd heard earlier on seemingly much more authorative military grounds that the pirates are local heroes, distributing undreamt of wealth and actually funding building projects - not that the Somali's actually feel like building anything.

The bad guys in Afghanistan & Yemen / Pakistan need to be taken out for sure, and I'm more than equally sure the flesh is willing, but we only have so many people, and so much kit, so need to do it on our terms / capabilities, not toe to toe on theirs ?

I am still worried by the Army top chap's lack of airpower knowledge though, and before anyone carps up that someone in that position must fully understand, well during 1982 Sandy Woodward was a highly experienced submariner, and one only has to read his and other books to realise he didn't fully comprehend his air assets...

It really needs another kick up the arse for our NATO ' colleagues '.