PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 21st Jan 2010, 14:22
alouette3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Helicopters make less money for their owners than FW.Hence, the money will always be better in FW.A wide body captain will win hands down as far as pay ,allowances and benefits go.Their unions are stronger than ours and they have great marketability.
No one can predict what life will be in 10-20 years. What I can predict is that it will take you at least that long to get to the point where money starts to get comfortable. Not great, not pouring in, but comfortable.
If you wanted fun and macho flying --go to the military. Civilian helicopter flying can be heart breaking, stressful and a constant battle with your employer to prove that you are slightly better than the janitor.And if you don't have a union, you will always lose.
Lifestyle can be good. You will be home a lot more than the aforementioned wide body captain but that will only happen after the aforementioned 10-20 years.
If ,despite all this, you still want to give it a shot,good luck.And yes, before you ask, I only do it because I don't know how to do anything else and so far it has been okay. Had lots of fun in the military and now I work for a unionized company.I wouldn't have done it any other way.
Alt3.