PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fixed-wing or Rotary career? (incl Changing licence to Rotary)
Old 21st Jan 2010, 12:45
dirtybungs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spoilt for choice (professional career advice)

hi,
my name's aldren
im from south east asia...
im writing and opening a new thread as i believe there's no similar situation posted in any threads before.

i am a CPL FW holder. Singe engine without IR and ME rating. Actually im halfway to complete my course (with only twin engine and a couple of papers left).

Recently my thoughts has wandered around helicopters, im thinking about forgetting my complete FW license and to change course to helicopter. I need about 100 hrs on R44 and yes, course is the constraint but if i were to succeed to find a sponsor (already talking to one company) i still have few things lingering my doubt.

1) i really want to be a helicopter pilots as it's more manly, more macho, and the fun of flying is there. what say you guys who have flown both? I have about 165 hrs on SE FW

2) one thing i afraid is the steep lurning curve when we start to fly the choppers. I think im a slow learner, i only cleared for solo after 21 hrs of training on a cirrus sr20 while my friends did earlier than that.

3) future prospect : in long term, say....10-20 years who will make more money? FW widebody captain or senior traning captain in rotary world (oil and gas)?

4) quality of life : my friends who's dad flying chopper for offshore operation for the company (which im talking to) spends a lot of time at home...pay, i dont know..but i think around RM 20,000 at least.. ( $ 5700 ) per month...

is it worth it for me to change now or wait till i finish my complete FW license, flying FW for a couple of years before finally deciding to learn to fly the real mean machine?

thank you in advance for any response....